June 4, 2018

Charlotte Nichols - Salem, Massachusetts




The Peirce-Nichols House at 80 Federal Street was originally built for Jerathmiel Peirce, who was part owner of a 171-foot, three-masted Salem East Indiaman named Friendship (a recreation of which now resides at the Salem Maritime National Historic Site).
These real photo postcards feature Peirce’s great-granddaughter, Charlotte Sanders Nichols. In the photos, Charlotte is seated in front of the Peirce-Nichols’ carriage house with an unidentified young girl. It is believed that the doll being displayed may have belonged to Charlotte’s great-grandmother Sarah (Ropes) Peirce.
In 1917, Charlotte and her two sisters, Augusta and Martha, donated their stately mansion to the Essex Institute with the stipulation that they could remain in the home. Charlotte, the youngest, was the last Nichols family occupant; she passed away in 1935.

Image may contain: 1 personImage may contain: text



*This article was written by Jen Ratliff for use by Salem State University Archives and Special Collections. Images above are from their collections.